Believing it “crucial to provide an effective on-the-ground presence for the 2020 Census in local communities in order to raise public awareness, deliver trustworthy information, and provide options for self-respondents to receive questionnaire assistance,” 90 organizations sent a letter to the Census Bureau on March 19, 2019, encouraging the Bureau “to promptly consult with stakeholders in developing a plan for QACs for the 2020 Census” and offering some initial recommendations:
- The overall scale of the QAC program in 2020 should be at least as large as in 2010.
- The Census Bureau should open, manage, and staff local QACs.
- QACs should target geographic and demographic communities at risk of being undercounted.
- QACs should respond to the key issues affecting response in 2020.
- QACs should be open through the self-response operation.
- The Census Bureau should develop national guidelines for the locations of QACs.
- QAC locations should prioritize public access and use.
Read the full letter for details.